If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build an online casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you almost certainly run into other people you know from Enid, partaking inside recreation given by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying at the hotels inside area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was one of the many concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that appeared as if a video slot. We have seen the small digital bingo card with the top corner from the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos began to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in the trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that prior to Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied with the Cherokee people following Treaty of New Echota and the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the area was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us as being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are come to operate tribal governments and programs because of its citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split with here the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to further improve infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent in the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something apart from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business owners.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who utilized to travel outside from the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is an accepted opportinity for governments to boost funds. It is seen as a source of money which is easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an increase in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative areas of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, in order that it takes more gambling and higher stakes, to find the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling fires up the human brain the same manner cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it would enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to manage?